[Amps] Gonset GSB-101 lookalike

craig brammer craigbrammer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 21 19:40:29 EDT 2008

 From an estate sale, about 15 years ago, I picked up a "Mars Linear
Amplifier SP-1000, Made in Japan, serial #120".  I pushed it into a back
corner of the garage because I only had a tech. license then.  The tubes
all lit up but I did not put it on the air.  4 811 tubes and 2 rectifier
tubes.  Rough drew a schematic.

On EBay, recently, I saw a Gonset amp for sale.  It looked nearly
identical, except that the Mars amp had one extra rotary switch,
throwing a couple choices of capacitance across the tank circuit.  I
ordered a reprint of the users manual and that appears to fit the Mars.

Gonset was made in California and this amp specifies "made in Japan".
Can anyone tell me some of the history of this boatanchor.  It is in
excellent condition, without rust and massively heavy.  Were I to put it
on the air, should I change out the B+ tubes for solid state?

thank you
Craig
AE6AF