[Amps] current in primary of microwave oven transformer

Angel Vilaseca avilaseca at bluewin.ch
Wed Apr 23 02:28:06 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have a microwave oven transformer that I plan to use for my next HV
power supply.

With the secondary unloaded and 220 V into the primary, I measured  670
mA through it.

This is a 220 V unit so that means 147 Watts, with no load on the
secondary. Magnetic shunts were taken off.

I have another two MOTs. Made the same measurement. They all behave the
same.

On the other hand, the transformers do not hum, not smoke, not even get
hot, so I was wondering if this primary current could be "wattless"
current, that is a current that is out of phase with voltage.

Should I worry about this amount of "idle current"?

Is this behavior particular to microwave oven transformers?

Is there a way to know what is happening here without using a double
trace oscilloscope?

Vy 73

Angel Vilaseca HB9SLV