[Amps] Fwd: Re: Buck Boost

Commander John crazytvjohn at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 14:48:14 EDT 2008

Commander John <crazytvjohn at yahoo.com> wrote:  Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:40:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Commander John <crazytvjohn at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Buck Boost
To: Barrie Smith <barrie at centric.net>

  I suggest you purchase a commercial buck boost transformer designed for this application.
  They are commonly available on ebay. It took about a month to purchase one at a fair price $20.  A variac will also do the boost  perhaps a 20 amp unit.  Then It will be adjustable.  For 220vac a dual gang unit is required.  These cost more.  Use of a filament or train transformer is in the older smaller handbooks in power supplies.
  john

Barrie Smith <barrie at centric.net> wrote:
  I'd like to increase the output voltage about 10% on a HV plate transformer using the boost method.

Does anyone know what penalties I may encounter using this proceedure?

Since there's no free lunch, I'm thinking that the voltage regulation will be similar to what it would be when using a variac. Is that true?

The plate transformer I will be using is 1 amp, CCS. If the boost transformer is stout, as well, I don't think the regulation will be to bad.

Ideas?

73, Barrie, W7ALW