[Amps] Burning in an 8877

Craig Anderson Ext 1365 Craig.Anderson at saintpaul.edu
Tue Aug 5 12:09:55 EDT 2008

I had purchased a totally refurbished Henry 3K Classic-X (8877) amp from
Henry just weeks before they closed their amplifier operation and I had
kept it in the box knowing that I was eventually going to put a new 8877
in it.  Since I had two Alpha 78's I really never had the need for the
amp -- I just wanted one.  The other day I took it out of the box and
plugged a new 8877 in and hit the switch and "pop" when the high
voltage.  I hadn't burned the tube in and I thought only tubes like the
4CX version with screen grids needed "gettering".

The long and short of it is does anyone have an opinion whether or not
the tube might have been trashed because of this flash over?  I plan to
put it in a test fixture I am building with a blower, filament
transformer and 8877 socket so that I can burn it in for 24-48 hours.
Since the amp has all new sheet metal, new meters, new knobs, new front
panel and new Export plate transformer I have a few bucks invested and I
wanted to sell it but wasn't sure how the tube might have been impacted
by the arc over.

Craig W9CLA