[Amps] Alpha 374A

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Mon Aug 11 14:48:30 EDT 2008

If you're using three tubes, that would require 4.5 Amps at 13.5V for the 3CX800A7s -- an awful lot of current for a voltage doubler.  That would require one hell of a doubler (huge capacitors), and if you could get it to work you'd end up with about 17Vdc, not 13.5V so you'd have to reduce it or regulate it somehow.

OTOH, if you wired the heaters in series, a single 40V, 1.5A transformer would work.  RFP has (had?) one in their catalog that's very small and only $11.95, P/N F-271U.  Maybe they still have that...

-WB2WIK/6