[Amps] Ameritron Amps?

Dave Weiss davidhweiss at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 19:04:43 EDT 2008

I have an AL-80 and an AL 1200.  Both work fine and I have had little
trouble with each one.  The AL80 is a little work horse and the 1200 is a
bigger one.

I find that the lack of warm up time is a great feature with each.  The 1200
has no problem putting out legal+ on most bands, the AL 80 puts out a KW on
some bands and less on others; absolutely normal.  The 1500 requires 3
minutes of warm up time.  The others 5-10 seconds flat!

I got both amps with the Grid overload protection and I have only seen the
1200 shut down one time in my getting used to it days.  The support from MFJ
has been good.

The grid overload protection is the only add on that I know about.  They
both take tuning abuse VERY well.  The 1500 I hear is less tolerant.  It
comes down to the tubes in each.

I am very pleased with both amps.

Dave K3FT