[Amps] Ameritron in for fixing...

Jim Reid reidj021 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Aug 31 00:15:19 EDT 2008

Was asked,

"Why did you send it back??" and,

Mike chimes in:

"Squeaky wheel and all, I would be calling them."

Well,  I had purchased the Ameritron from a gear seller on eBay.
I paid the "buy it now" price as I thought it was a great deal,
and it was sold as having been operating just fine.

But when I received it,  I could not get RF power out.
Following the manual tuning instructions, ll was well down through
"step 7:  switch to OPR"  XMT light is lit, and the Ip = 0 ma.

But at step 8,  switch exciter to very low drive and Ip should
be about 100 mA.  But Ip current continues to read 0,  meter
needle does not budge,  but the Grid current does read 30 or
40 mA or so.  So,  I tried adjust the ALC voltage.

Step 9, adjust the front panel ALC SET to about 8 volts with
the multimeter switch set to ALC SET,
I can tweak the voltage to around 8v,  but it does not
stay there?  It may drop to near zero,  or it may increase.
Moving the ALC SET knob a bit,  and the ALV voltage will
randomly vary to all sorts of values,  even falling to zero.
No matter where the ALC is set, or the drive power increased
slightly,  no plate current will flow.  I know there is rf power
goiing into the amp, as the output power meter on the
exciter (FT-1000MP) will read around 5 to 10 watts, have
not tried to increase beyond that in drive power.

This amp is equipped with both the grid current protection
circuit #500080.5 and the QSK-5PC T/R switch PC  board.

I contacted the seller that I was going to send the amp to
the manufacturer for repair.  Ameritron had told me that
via the serial number, it was built in January of 2000 and to
return it to them for service.

He replied as follows:

"Jim,  Thanks for the update, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Let me know what Ameritron has to say once they have tested it."

I have advised him since that so far no news from Ameritron.
I am presuming that the seller will refund some of what I have
paid as a result of the amp being DOA,  as far as I am concerned.

That's the tale to the moment.  Guess I better try calling Ameritron
again Monday,  but they are very SLOW to answer the phone, if
ever on a given call.  Either their line is busy,  or just no answer,
at least that has been my experience.

Will advise what happens next,

73,

Jim W6KPI