[Amps] LK-500 Blows Caps

Edwin Karl edk0kl at centurytel.net
Tue Dec 2 09:04:20 EST 2008

When I rebuilt my LK-500B, I added step start, mostly due to using much
greater value caps, I already was concerned about the "boing" when it
turned on, doubling the C worried me. Simple series 10 watt resistors
shorted by relay contacts. The relay runs to the 12v supply. Beautiful
turn on, voltage build to 1500 then steps to 3100 (idle).

You might consider cobbling an additional cap in the string, we're running
it a little close to the line.

Love my LK, bought a second for spare, etc. Getting older, parts and tubes
might be scarce down the road.

ed K0KL