[Amps] Input SWR

Russ Williams hrd998cc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 12:09:53 EST 2008

I am not familiar with that particular amp, but it sounds like something was either damaged when the old tubes failed -or- something has changed during or since the new tubes were installed.
I doubt the tubes would be the culprit since I have installed and used the RFP 3-500Z's with no problems in an L-4B.  (That is not to say they couldn't be the problem)

It is obviously a common component to all bands, so I would look at the following:

1. Check the coupling capacitors that feed RF to the filament (cathode) at the socket.  These may be leaky (electrically) and are changing value.
2. Check other components common to the input circuit on all bands; e.g., T/R relay, bandswitch, other capacitors, etc.
3.  Unlikey to be the problem, but does the tube socket grip the tube pins sufficiently, and is the socket clean?

Any other ideas out there?

Russ
W6OHM