[Amps] metering HV on PAs

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Thu Dec 18 19:47:35 EST 2008

Unless I am very lazy and cheap, I usually put a separate divider in for metering, or a series meter multiplier resistance. You can get 1 to 5 Meg skinny but long wirewound HV resistors from various sources, I usually go to the surplus store in town for mine. They can be 0.5 or 1%, sometimes as high as 2% tolerence, and don't drift much as they are high enough as to not be dissipating much power, not like a bleeder whose purpose IS to load the supply a bit, and drain the caps when it is shut off. But using 2 Watt carbon comp resistors is not great, unless you put a lot of them in series. The newer metal oxide and film resistors appear to be excellent.
73
John
K5PRO