[Amps] 3-400

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Fri Feb 1 03:29:14 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/31/2008 8:53:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
n5tog at bellsouth.net writes:

Hello i  have a swan amp with 2 3-400 the swan  manial say to load it to 500
to  600 mills  on the grid, i checked the internet and my manual is like the
others on the net , the bill orr handbook say 142 mills oer tube can some one
tell me if the swan manual is right or what? i just can not believe that the
swan  manual  500 to 600 mills can be right  can some one help  hear.. Thanks
 Harold  n5tog

Indeed Harold, the manual DOES state that the grid current could be between
500 and 600, it is NOT a misprint, Even the Swan Mark I  and Mark II amp
manuals say the same.  That is a bit high for sure.  I would not worry  if the
grid current reached 400ma for a pair of tubes, but at that point you are  going
non linear,  Load the amp a bit heavy to reduce the grid  current.  Lou