[Amps] Step start

David Cutter d.cutter at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 3 08:41:29 EST 2008

I have a 240V 15A variac which would consistently blow a 13A plug fuse at
switch on, unloaded.  The spec for these plug fuses states they must blow in
30s with 2.1 x nominal current applied, ie >27A: these always blew
instantly.  Slow blow fuses did not work either.  The variac looks like a
short across the mains until the magnetising current is established.
(Large power supplies have large transformers which look similar). My simple
cure was to fit a mains relay across the variac and 2W 1k resistor in series
with the supply to both the relay and variac.  The relay contacts shorted
the resistor.  The inherent time delay within the relay allowed the
magnetising current to rise slowly enough to avoid that large surge.  I
don't know how vulnerable filaments are to switch on surge, I don't recall
reading anything about this in valve specs, but it's been a while.

David
G3UNA