[Amps] QRO-parts - sound kinda fishy now

steve d kc8qvo at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 10:42:44 EST 2008

Hi all. I have been researching the gs-35b tube for my amp project. QRO-parts is one vendor who sells it and I asked on here a couple weeks ago if anyone had experience with them. I got a few replies saying they were OK. So I felt a little better about buying from them. I needed to wait a little while before purchasing as I am a full time student (the amp is my project for a class actually) and $$ flow is a bit short.

  While I have been sitting on my purchase I got an e-mail from QRO-parts out of the blue last Wed. (note he attached my original inquiry from here) -
    Steve,

  You have purchased this tube or not yet?

bst 73s de QRO-Parts.com

--------------------------------------
I am wondering if QRO-parts.com is a decent place to buy from. I see
they have
good prices, but all sales are final and no returns. Have any  of you
had
experience with them?

   I am looking for a GS-35b tube. I would like to get a GOOD one and
not  one
that turns out to be a dud. If you have any leads I would  appreciate
it!

   Steve, KC8QVO

  This struck me as a bit odd. I don't know of any store or place that would e-mail someone out of the blue wondering when they were going to purchase.

  Here is where it gets a bit more weird - in the time I replied to that e-mail (basically saying I was waiting a while longer) and when I went to purchase the tube yesterday they jerked the price up on the tube. It was $90.00+s/h now it is $99.50+s/h. I decided not to buy.

  I sent another e-mail to them inquiring as to the price increase and I got this reply - the first part really sounds fishy to me -
  Steve

Have many reasons. In a Russian market all electronic tubes come very
fast to their real cost. You to think for 100$ it is possible to made
similar electron tube? American Eimac does the worst tubes at the price

700-1000$

We have a old customers from Los-Alamos National laboratory:
http://www.jpaw.com/

And they very is very happy with quality/price these GS-35B Power
 triodes.
It not their real price. We lived in the USSR and has made PA. But we
could not then to buy this tubes. After the USSR crush these tubes have

been thrown out on local market at the price of metal scrap. But this
situation cannot lasts long.

QRO-Parts.com

  So, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place on this now. I was going to use a GS-35b tube, but I really do NOT want to deal with QRO-parts. Are there any other options? Pulled 8877's? Some other tube(s)? Preferably a triode?

  Steve, KC8QVO