[Amps] Step start

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 11:35:14 EST 2008

As David said step starts circuits are simple. There is no need for a timer
etc. In a couple of supplies that I have I just place a low value resistor
in series with the mains and place the relay coil, of the relay that shorts
out the resistor, across the transformer primary. When the capacitors charge
up enough the voltage across the primary will also rise. When it gets high
enough to pull in the relay you are done.

The only problem with doing this is that the relay will have some chatter
due to the rising pull in voltage. It would be better to use a DC relay here
and a diode from the transformer primary so that the relay pulls in
smoothly.

This simple approach does the same thing as sensing the high voltage without
the associated problems. It also has built in delay too.

73
Gary  K4FMX