[Amps] Step start

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 17:12:09 EST 2008

> Incidentally, most step-starts are much longer than they need to be, as
> the big current pulses only occur during the first few cycles of the
> mains. The aim should be to make the first and second current surges of
> equal size, so that neither one is "worse" than the other. A very long
> step time doesn't really help with this - it doesn't affect the size of
> the first current surge, and doesn't do much to reduce the second
> current surge, but it puts much more stress on the resistor.

If turn on speed isn't a major issue, I like the idea that the
maximum surge at turn on doesn't exceed the maximum peak current
during normal operation. That means higher value resistors and
longer delays than most designs go for.

I don't see there's a 'right' or 'wrong' system. Designed with a
little thought, all work fine.

Steve