[Amps] SB-220 on 6 meters: looking for projects...

Han Higasa higasa at plum.ocn.ne.jp
Fri Feb 8 20:40:33 EST 2008

GM all,

These photos are of the Bear Electronics in JA6 land,
which is a famous manufacturer of linear amps for amateurs.

I have a few experience to modify TL-922s and SB-1000s for
six-meters, and repair of some 2006As.

I remember some 2006As exhibit low power and high grid
current because of inadequate connection of a load VC.
It was connected by only one stator terminal, just in parallel
to the connection between an output connector and a plate coil.

In another words a plate coil is soldered to an output connector
directly, and a stator terminal of the load VC and the connector
is connected by a ribbon nearly 2-inch long.
The circuit schematic is right, but the RF flow is wrong.

By using two stator terminals and extra grounding pieces
I forced RF current to flow load VC entirely and improved
the effectiveness of the VC, and achieved a good plate
efficiency with low grid current.

de Han JE1BMJ