[Amps] how to wind an HF broadband 10:1 transformer

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Feb 24 20:18:49 EST 2008

Anyone can paint a toroid and without measuring the inductance of a few
turns and running the math you have no positive idea what you have. Red and
yellow are Micrometal #2 and #6 mix respectively.

It is possible to wind a 2-30 MHz balun with #2 mix but great care needs to
be taken in sizing the core, the turns as well as the ratio and minimizing
capacity at the higher frequencies.

Formulas are in the ARRL HB, on line at several places, Micrometals url,
etc. Google is your best friend.

Carl
KM1H

Carl