[Amps] (no subject)

jcowens1 at comcast.net jcowens1 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 25 17:19:57 EST 2008

The optional Powwer Supply cooling fan on my Alpha 87A Amplifier (externally mounted on rear of cabinet) needs to be replaced. The normal thing to do would be to replace it with another of the same brand, size, ratings. It is an EBM PABST Model 4580Z, and they are still available from a few suppliers.

It is disconnected now, and it is amazing how much quieter the amp is without this fan. I have had other owners tell me they don't have one installed for that reason. I have also had others tell me then have one installed, but have a switch so that they can have it off most of the time, but on for high duty cycle modes like RTTY.

Has anyone found an equivalent blower of the same size that is quieter, but that still does the job?? Since ETO/Alpha didn't install one on the amp to begin with, its need must be marginal. They advertise full time key down operation at 1500 watts so you have to wonder why it is needed in the first place. Your help and information would be appreciated.

Thank You
John Owens - N7TK