[Amps] HV Supplies and Diodes

Dennis W0JX w0jx at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 13:34:27 EST 2008

I agree that the parallel, voltage equalizing resistors are unnecessart however, I am not so sure about the bypass capacitors (usually .01).

  Some believe that the capacitors are necessary to supress the switching noise that might be imposed on a transmitter's sidebands. Even the MFJ amps have these bypass caps across the diodes. I think that if the capacitors were really unnecessary, that Ameritron/MFJ would save a few bucks by eliminating them.

  Can we get a definitive opinion on this? Of course, it would appear that the diode bypass capacitors can't really hurt--or can they?

  73, Dennis W0JX/8