[Amps] HV Supplies and Diodes

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Thu Jan 3 09:22:18 EST 2008

    Sometimes it is good to remember the "old ways". I recall a few years
ago visiting  a tube audiophile who built an all tube stereo system using
866 rectifiers and 805 output tubes. They could not understand why they
were constantly replacing 866 tubes. They had a capacitive input filter.
Also, in the old  days most HV  power supplies had inductive input filters.
Not only did they not blow away the mercury rectifiers they provided better
output voltage load regulation and lower peak current on the power lines.
    I seem to recall special solid state diodes made to be used with out
the RC networks that had "controlled avalanche". These all had identical
reverse break down voltages.
    Are there any application notes that tell you how many 1kV PIV
rectifiers one should place in series for N*kV PIV . The number should be
greater than N.
But by how much?

73
Bill wa4lav