[Amps] questions about hi pot tester

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Thu Jan 3 13:23:06 EST 2008

What's the application?

A lot of off-the-shelf hipot testers for consumer electronic equipment
stop at 6kVdc (because that's the limit of the requirement for
compliance testing on a 240V circuit) and that's not nearly high enough
voltage to test, say, a high power transmitting tube.

Are you looking to do compliance testing, which requires a stipulated
ramp time, dwell time and leakage limit?  Or just to see where stuff
flashes over?  How high a voltage?

WB2WIK/6