[Amps] 160-6m amp designs?

Radio WC6W wc6w_amps at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 15:09:15 EST 2008

Hi Steve,
  Welcome to the group!

   The 8877 is a fine choice.  Be sure to include a
grid overcurrent trip for reliability.

   Covering 160-6 in a single amp invites some
challenging problems with regard to the output network
and the plate choke.

   Some ancient thoughts on the plate choke problem
may be seen on my webpage:

http://wc6w.50webs.com/wc6wamps/index.html?fr62.html

   If you do the math, you'll discover that the tube
output capacitance is all that's needed for the input
capacitor in a Pi-L output network on 6 meters. The
regular input capacitor, which would still likely have
to be a vacuum capacitor for the remaining 160-10m
range, could switched out by means of a vacuum relay
on 6 meters.   6 meters could then be tuned with a
variable coil -- a small roller coil, a variable
geometry assembly or some kind of variable reluctance
thingy.

  Alternatively, a small (.5uH or so) coil may be
inserted between the plate and the regular input cap.
creating another L stage in the output network.  All
of the 6 meter coil components should be large
geometry -- at least 3/8" diameter copper tubing.

  160 meter coverage may require padders on either, or
both, the tune & load capacitors depending on what
values you can acquire.

  The input network should be located as close as
practical to the tube cathode for 6 meter operation.
The RF ground currents from the input network, as well
as the output tuning & loading caps, should all be
terminated as close as possible to the grid.

73 & Good morning,
   Marv WC6W

P.S. -- The last (23rd edition) of the Radio Handbook
by Orr and the one of the ARRL handbooks from the
1980's may prove to be useful reference material.