[Amps] ALS-600... problems???

John/K4WJ k4wj at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 27 11:38:53 EST 2008

Chas,

I bought a used ALS-600 and matching power supply about 8 years ago.
It was purchased new by Bill, W5OG. He used it for a few years and
then passed away. Robbie, W2SR, bought it from Bill's estate. Robbie
used it for several years and then he passed away. I bought it from
Robbie's estate.

The only problem I've had with it was the diodes in the power supply
blew about a year and a half ago. I shipped it to Ameritron and they
repaired it and I believe the total cost of repair and shipping back
to me was less than $50.00. (I don't remember how much it cost me to
ship it to Ameritron. Whatever the price was it included packing and
shipping.)

For the last 3 years the ALS-600 has been on the air daily. I use it
on 80, 40 and 30M CW. (of course it loafs at 200W on 30M). I have
antenna problems and the ALS-600 burps (brings up the yellow fault
light.) I easily reset it by moving the operate/standby switch from
operate to standby back to operate again and I'm back running about 400W on CW.

I never run the amp full bore because I use it for rag chewing and
I'm not interested in getting the last watt out of it.

Would I buy another ALS-600? Yes!

Would I recommend the amplifier to someone else? Yes!

I know, more than you wanted to know about ownership. :-) I just
wanted to point out that his amplifier has been around for a long time.

73..de John/K4WJ