[Amps] More Amperex 3-500Z

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Jan 31 16:09:27 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry" <larry at w7iuv.com>
To: "jeremy-ca" <km1h at jeremy.mv.com>
Cc: "AMPS" <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] More Amperex 3-500Z

> Carl,
>
> Thanks. Good data points.
>
> Do you have a publication date on that Drake manual? (approx OK)

April 1980. However further looking finds the exact same info in a 1970 L-4B
manual.

Both manuals state that EIMAC or Amperex 3-400Z's or 3-500Z's are installed
at the factory.

> Can you approximate the date/year you observed the comparative operation
> in the SB-220?

Many years thru the 60's to present. I repair amps as well as convert to 6M.
Even these days I will occassionaly get an amp with 60's date codes from
either mfg. Tantalum and graphite.

> My 1969 short form catalog also shows the filament current as 14.1 amps.
> It makes no mention as to where they were manufactured but from the
> photos, etc., they would have you believe the manufacturing facility was
> located in Long Island!

Hicksville was a R&D facility with limited tube production capability; I
have a few different TX tubes in my collection. Besides Europe was much
cheaper in those days. They were primarily for SS, varactors, microwave
components, etc. I visited it around the late 60's when a highschool ham
friend ( Im from LI ) was in R&D. Got varactor samples when they were the in
thing for building UHF triplers.

 OTOH, I have quite a few different Amperex TX
> tube types that were definitely made in Holland during that period.

I forget who developed the frame grid tubes, Amperex or Phillips or even
Mullard who built Amperex also. All of a sudden they were everywhere and
Drake jumped right on them in the 4 line. I used the Amperex gold pin 6922
in 6 and 2M converters for a short time.

Good luck on your quest, the trail is certainly muddied by now!

Carl
KM1H
National Radio 1963-69

>>> http://w7iuv.com