[Amps] B&W 852 Impedance Measurements

R.C. Morris robrk at nidhog.net
Thu Jul 3 12:11:07 EDT 2008

Maybe someone moved the taps.
One of Bill Orr's handbooks talks about moving the taps on the 851.
Forget if also the 852. Whatever you end up for Pz, one of the taps may
be OK, but they don't follow for the other bands.

I have a pair of 3-500's at 3800 volts with an 851. After 20 years, I
forget what band was good, but moved at least three others and replaced
the 10 meter coil.

Figure your plate Z, check the charts, and I think you will need a big
solder tool.

Bob Maser wrote:
> The B&W 852 that I bought arrived today and is in good condition.  I took
> some inductance measurements for each of the band positions and found that
> all of them are low as compared to what I thought they should be.
>
>             Original Specs                Actual measurement
>
> 10            .95 uH                                   .61 uH
> 15            1.34                                       .96
> 20            2.34                                     1.67
> 40            3.72                                     2.56
> 80            7.00                                     5.41
>
> My measurements were made on a AADE unit which has always been very
> accurate.  The 852 was not mounted on the aluminum chassis, just sitting on
> a wooden bench.  I cannot see any signs of alteration, it all looks stock.
> In order to use this 852, the Q would be between 15 and 20, very sharp
> tuning.  The Original specs correspond to a PLI of 2000 with a Q of ±12.
>
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Bob Maser  W6TR

believed to be clean.