[Amps] Fwd: Re: Bill Orr comment

k9mk at flash.net k9mk at flash.net
Wed Jul 23 14:01:00 EDT 2008

     I can't speak to todays class of ceramic tubes but in the 70's I built a number of 3-1000Z amps.  The rule of thunb for a well designed AB amp was 2:1, output power vs. dissipation.  So, yes I agree with the Orr's "rule of thumb" here.  The 3-1000Z typically did 2:1 RF out 80m-15m but it did require a well thought out RF deck.  I will not name names here but I saw a dozens of what I call stressed 4-1000A amps that made it to the 2.5:1 ouput ratio.

    It is probably related to the manufacturers design but I have never seen 3KW from an 8877 or even 1600W from a 3CX800...  Either something is being lost in translation or it kinda makes you wonder about the claims surrounding our modern ceramic tubes...

73's    Mike  K9MK/5

 -------------- Original message from Commander John <crazytvjohn at yahoo.com>: --------------