[Amps] Bill Orr comment

Roger (K8RI) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Jul 23 14:00:32 EDT 2008

Gudguyham at aol.com wrote:
> I was reading the Bill Orr handbook and on his section about amplifiers he
> says.....A properly designed grounded grid amplifier should produce 2 to 2.5
> times the plate dissapation of the tube  in output.  He did not put  any
> limitations on the statement as to IMD or anything like that.  He did  not say if
> the tubes ratings would be surpassed (I am sure they would), but I  think what
> he was saying is that the tube should continue to make power to 2 to  2.5 times
> it's dissapation before it would not make any more power and flatten  out.

I see more than a little ambiguity in that statement.  Did he mean under
normal operating conditions the output power will be 2 to 2.5 times the
power "being dissipated" by the tube or that a tube of a given plate
dissipation (say a 1000 watts) could put out 2 to 2.5 times that rating
(2 to 2.5 KW in this instance)  Was it a poor choice of words and which
did he mean? My first thoughts were he meant the first, but then the
first answer I saw referred to the second. The second would depend on
the emission characteristics of the  cathode and the class of operation.

73

Roger (K8RI)