[Amps] Bill Orr comment

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Jul 23 20:39:01 EDT 2008

Well, I think I can put a finger on that and debunk the naysayers who belong
with the original posters "guru" as certified quacks in their own right.

>From the Radio Handbook 22nd edition Page 21.2:

" As a rule of thumb, then, a triode tube to be used for linear RF service
in a power amplifier should have a large plate dissipation capability, and
the output power to be expected from a single tube will run about twice the
plate dissipation rating."

Nothing is said about 2.5X, only "about twice". To my interpetation 1.7 or
1.8 X is close enough to "about" and as usual Orr is correct.

And as I alluded to in an earlier post it is the filament tubes that most
easily fill this criteria. The cathode type are not as robust. It seems that
only Peter caught my hint.

I wonder where the OP has disappeared to as he claims to be a big amp
builder. And who is his quack "guru"?

Curious minds demand to know.

Carl
KM1H