[Amps] Wire

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Mon Jul 28 11:18:07 EDT 2008

I had responded to Rich last week but I guess he either didn't like my
answer or just wanted more opinions.

Look at
http://www.welchfluorocarbon.com/techdata.htm#Table1FluoropolymerSelectionGuide

for more than you probably want to know.  I measured some 20 or 22 gauge
twisted Teflon and Tefzel wire a few years ago and couldn't see any
difference other than Tefzel has a slightly higher dielectric constant
(2.6 vs 2.2).  Tefzel is not rated to quite as high temperature but both
are plenty high enough. :)

Also in may last job we used only Tefzel wire in aircraft products.  I
think it is becoming more common that Teflon insulated wire.  Also the
breakdown voltage is higher than Teflon and the material is harder which
is good for wire that is wound against a surface.  Both Teflon and
Tefzel are DuPont registered trademarks.

73, Larry W0QE