[Amps] Wire

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 28 15:17:59 EDT 2008

The Aviation World is quite in the spotlight on Wiring issues, and undergoing a lot of soul serching on solving tough problems, in aging aircraft wiring, and specialized insulations long accepted, but now questioned, or more exactly targeted for specific uses, such as Kapton, tefzel, and teflon.

I Googled Avionics, Wiring and Standards, and got a good selection of current, and older commentary of the problem:

http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/issue/columns/perspectives/12872.html
http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/issue/columns/perspectives/12555.html
ASTMF-2369; ASTMF- 2490
http://aero-defense.ihs.com/news/2008/astm-airplane-electrical-wiring.htm
ANM-01-04
http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/categories/military/12727.html
A-D Wiring Issues  listings:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0UBT/is_34_15/ai_78044274/pg_7
Aging Aircraft PPT
www.dixiecrow.org/Powerpoint%20Briefs/Hinton_Aging_Aircraft_Sustainment_DixieCrows.ppt
Scary one here:
http://www.heli-chair.com/wiring_101.html

http://www.russellw.com/logbook/vision_for_avionics_interconnects.htm

Re:  ASTM Standards for Avionics wiring tape, and some standards:

Specifications & Standards

FlameGuard™ Pure Silicone Tape meets many or all of the specifications of the following standards:
     MIL-I-46852, A-A-59163, ASTM D412, ASTM D 119,
     ASTM D150, ASTM D624, ASTM D2148, ASTM D2240.

FlameGuard™ Pure Silicone Tape may also be certified to the following specifications upon request (fees apply):
     Commercial Specification A-A-59163 Type I & II  (Previously MIL-I-46852C Type I & II), Military Specification MIL-I-22444C,
     Underwriters Laboratories Inc UL-510, Boeing DMS2186 Type II, Lockheed Martin MMS J517 & 5-00857, Safe Flight 59562-5
     Systems & Electronics Inc ES7889, McDonnell Douglas Helicopter HS5215, General Dynamics P5384 Type II,
     General Electric A50A493 / A50E112 / P5384, Rohr RMS315, FAR 25.853, CSA 22.2, Premier Farnell Corp 810112

73,    All the best,
Pat Barthelow   AA6EG
Jamesburg Moonbounce Team
aa6eg at hotmail.com