[Amps] HL2K question

Dan Hearn dhearn at air-pipe.com
Thu Jul 31 18:34:20 EDT 2008

Pat: One of the projects I worked on before retirement involved an oil well
logging instrument with a scintillation counter in it. It was inside a steel
tubing pressure housing 2 1/8 ID. There was a 3300 volt low current power
supply in it which used an RF oscillator with a high Q coil. The steel
housing had a shorted turn effect on the oscillator and kept it from
working. On a hunch I designed a silver plated brass sleeve around the coil
with a hole to adjust the tuning capacitor. It solved the problem and many
units were built. After this long discourse, my suggestion is to put a
highly conductive plate between the cabinet and the coil. This will affect
tuning but, I believe, will improve the loss you are seeing.
73, Dan, N5AR

I also noticed that the cabinet around the coil was getting really warm.
When running at full power and sliding the cover to move it closer to the
coil to its normal position, i see some small sparks between the cover and
cabinet and feel some "tinglings" in the fingers.

This ouput coil is less than 1cm (0.39 inch) on all its length from the
cabinet and 1,5cm (0.59 inch) on all its length from the cover ! I think
this is far to close...

Has anyone a HL2K and experienced the same problem ? Maybe more recent
serial numbers have a different layout ?

Except moving the coil a bit further from the cabinet and cover (not easy in
a commercial amp), i don't see how i can solve this problem.. Any idea ?
What would be a "good" distance ??

73, Patrick

--
Patrick Egloff - TK5EP