[Amps] Alpha 8410 -- The Market should be D.O.A.

Scott McGrath mcgrath at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 4 21:30:51 EDT 2008

Commercial practice STILL uses tubes for 1KW and above.    I have a Icom
2KL which works nicely IF the SWR is less than 2:1 - IT NEEDS its
companion AT-500 (which I also have) to keep it happy   Also have a
Harris AM-7223 and a Collins 30-S1 both the Harris and the Collins will
load up into a bedspring without a external tuner the Harris will tune
automatically the collins we do the old fashioned way.     I think tubes
will be around for a while yet until truly HV junctions can be devised
at a economical cost at which point the impedance mismatch issue will
become moot and hollow state devices will pass into history

Part of the issue here is that SS finals are designed to load up into a
50 ohm characteristic impedance ONLY where a tube anplifier is designed
to compensate for a complex impedance and it considers the antenna
system as part of the tank circuit since the tube can handle the high RF
voltage created by a impedance mismatch it is possible to tune the
circuit until it comes into resonance and a reasonable impedance
value.    Since the transistors junctions cannot handle a high RF
voltage the protection circuits need to reduce power until the reflected
voltage is within the junctions ability to handle the voltage.