[Amps] 813's shot noise?

jerome schatten romers at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 11 19:42:54 EDT 2008

I'm about finished rebuilding my pair of 813's (zero bias GG) amp. I
acquired a nice almost new (1966) pair of 813's to finish things off.
The new pair has almost double the output of my tired old pair (1943)
which I've been using for almost 40 years.

The set up is:
Driver: Pro3 with its internal ant. tuner providing matching to the
input of the amp.
The Amp: two 813's gg (all grids tied together to chassis) Ebb=2200v
no load; pi network output.

In testing out the new pair of tubes, I noticed that with the amp
manually put in operate position (ant relay in tx position, no drive,
HV applied running idle plate current into a dummy load), I can hear
popping noises with the higher gain receive preamp engaged (+20db or
so of preamp). It sounds like arcing or popping and the noise blanker
on the rx takes it out completely. The band-scope on the rx shows
random narrow spikes all through the bandpass of the scope. It occurs
with one, or both tubes in place. It occurs as well with cut-off  bias
applied. The bias is developed as a kind of cathode bias with a 2k ohm
resistor in the HV return to the CT of the filament xformer. So, it
essentially cuts off the tubes, but not totally.

The popping noise does not happen with the tired pair, so I think I
can eliminate arcing in either the power supply or the amp chassis,
but would like opinions on this.

So, my question is: Is this likely 'shot noise' that I can't do
anything about; and if not, what else should I be looking for?

The reason for my concern is the way I use the amp. If the receive
signal is strong enough, I can, with the help of the receive preamps,
listen to the band through the amplifier, and not have to switch the
amp at all. Ultimately I'll put a QSK-5 in and the problem will most
likely disappear, but til then, I've got the popping noise to deal
with.

Thanks for any insights,
jerome - VA7VV