[Amps] Transceiver Output Impedance

Carl Clawson carlclawson at verizon.net
Sun Mar 9 13:06:39 EDT 2008

This should be measurable. In class A you could just bias up the amplifier
and measure it, no? Other classes are more problematic because they are
non-linear and you'd need to have them producing power in order to measure
them. (And indeed the concept of impedance itself becomes pretty dicey
because impedance is a linear concept.) But I think it's still measurable in
principle. If you're driving a mismatched load, that reflected power either
gets dissipated in the amplifier (conjugate match) or re-reflected to the
load. In the former case your power dissipation for a given net power would
be higher than for a matched load because the amplifier would producing more
forward power, the reflected portion of which is being dissipated.

(The "non-dissipative resistance" concept, IMO, is just sleight of hand to
turn one of these cases into the other and is physically meaningless. The
reverse power is either dissipated or re-reflected. That should be
measurable.)

I lean toward thinking that a conjugate match is not necessary. Here's a
thought experiment: Take an ideal amplifier element that produces an output
current proportional to the input voltage, independent of load resistance.
It has infinite output impedance, yet you can make a dandy amplifier with
it. Increase the load resistance and you get more power as long as the
supply voltage is not exceeded.

Now, didn't I just describe something that looks a lot like a class A
bipolar transistor amplifier?

73, Carl WS7L

Checked by AVG.
12:17 PM