[Amps] thyristor controlled soft start?

Radio WC6W wc6w_amps at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 13:29:56 EDT 2008

Hi Andy,
  Are you thinking about just replacing the relay
across the resistor with a Triac?  Or something more
involved like a phase controlled ramp??

  A Triac will exhibit a considerable loss during
normal, post startup, operation.  I've seen circuits
where a Triac is used with a relay connected in
parallel.  The Triac is first enabled, then shorted by
the relay.  This greatly reduces contact wear on the
relay while avoiding the typical 2V drop of a Triac.

73 & Good morning,
  Marv WC6W

http://wc6w.50webs.com/

--- Andy GD0TEP <andy at gd0tep.com> wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> I'm thinking about using thyristor controlled
> softstart on my amplifier PSU
> transformer for my next project, is there anything I
> should be concerned
> about using this type of softstart?

<snip>