[Amps] Retraction with regard to the SB220

Jeff Carter amps at hidden-valley.com
Thu Mar 27 23:05:22 EDT 2008

Well, I probably would, except the decision was already made for me by
the previous owner(s).  They're already in pieces.  I have purposely
acquired guaranteed non-working units, precisely because I wanted to
go through and touch every single thing and understand fully what it
did and why.  If something inside it doesn't work, I'll buy another
one NOS or fabricate one myself if I can.  There's not *that* much to
these, there can't be.

When I get them working again, I will most likely lose interest in
them if my usual pattern holds.  I got into Amateur Radio back in 1992
because I wanted to learn things and have access to the spectrum for
experimentation.  I almost never actually talk to anybody except on
vacations or other special occasions, but I listen to 75m a good bit
when mobile at night.  I've got QSL cards enough for WAS but I've
never submitted them.  I was fascinated with the concept of working
all the US States barefoot on a doublet antenna, but once I got there,
I was done.

Back to amps: Do you think there's something to be said for not
worrying about improvements, but just going through the build manual
and putting them back "stock", so to speak?  It might be interesting
to put at least one of them back in strict accordance with the old
instructions, just to see what I end up with...and potentially a lot
of fun to consider that I'm constructing a Heathkit, something most
people around now never got to do.

It's all in fun.  When I get them working and they're no longer of any
interest, I'm told they make great boat anchors.

Thanks for the reply!

Jeff/KD4RBG