[Amps] SB220 "A" mods

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Fri Mar 28 07:19:44 EDT 2008

You won't get any concensus here on a single path to upgrade this venerable and easy-to-mod power amplifier. However, IMHO:
Highly recommended:

1) drill the small holes to be able to lube the fan every couple of years with light oil.

2) check your HV filter caps, and possibly replace if they have high life or fail this test. Unfortunately they can dry out even on the shelf, so when you fire up first time, at least you should re-form them individually with a 450 VDC power supply and check the leakage. Check their capacitance too. Any leakage and they should all be replaced with a new set. Replace the carbon equalizing/bleeder resistances to a lower value, higher precision metal oxide power resistors. I believe this is covered in the QST/AG6K articles and webpages.

3) Check the HV diodes for any overheating or cracking. Possibly replace with 1N5408s from a new batch. If using RC equalizers, check the R's

4) Change input matching to get better match across each band, for SS rigs to drive it.

Fun to do, but not mandatory for reliability:

1) Add a standby switch that cutsoff tubes with HV still on

2) Fast QSK, replace the open frame RF relay from the RF path with vacuum relay.

There are more mods such as replacing the phono plug on back, better line cord, MOV on AC mains, parasitic suppressors, but they are just if you have time to hack your amp more.

I can send you schematic and performance tests for mine that I updated in 1993 with many of these ideas. Certainly this list isn't exhaustive for all possibilities.
73
John
K5PRO

There seems to be some disagreement on different sites about the best