[Amps] Relays

Paul Kelley N1BUG paul.kelley.n1bug at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 14:09:43 EDT 2008

Thanks Tim,

That is reassuring. I have been using RJ1A relays in my HF single
4CX1500B for some time and have yet to experience a failure. I run
QSK CW frequently. I am also using them on my new 6m 4CX1500B amp
where I realize I'm probably pushing my luck... time will tell.

Recently I was asked to repair an amp using RJ1A relays that had
suffered contact failures. It wasn't all that much power, about 1
kW. I became curious as to why the relays had failed. The owner had
controlled the amp by a simple cable from the rig's amp T/R control
line to the amp. Unfortunately that rig only had a delay around 3 ms
after closure of the amp T/R contacts to the start of RF output in
both CW and SSB. The new RJ1A relays I installed needed 5 ms
(measured) to close and stop bouncing, so they would be hot switched
by that setup. Not good. I wonder if this sort of thing might
explain some of the vacuum relay failures we hear about?

I would add that fast relays can in some cases actually be slowed
down by the nature of the power supply or the circuit controlling
them. I always verify actual timing of the relays in an amp with the
RF output delay of the radio(s) it is to be used with unless there
is provision for 'RF hold off' handshaking between the amp and
transceiver.

73,
Paul N1BUG