[Amps] Relays

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 31 20:57:46 EDT 2008

All this talk about relays and QSK has me wondering why aren't PIN
diodes used more commonly? Then I began to read about some of the
atrocious swtiching that goes on with some rigs.

I have an AL-80A with the integral PIN-5 QSK switch. I've only ever
used the amp with my Kenwood TS-930S and my TenTec Orion II,  both
without problems. The switch unit itself does have some low-current
incandescent lamps in the switch to act as fuses in case the timing
is not correct, but these have never given me any trouble. So, I must
conclude that the timing has always been appropriate.

But, this does lead to a question: are PIN diodes avoided simply
because using them is far more complex than relays, or is there some
other reason they aren't often used?

Kim N5OP