[Amps] Chimney for GS-31B

Roger (K8RI) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Thu May 1 22:45:48 EDT 2008

Missouri Guy wrote:
>> I know the idea isn't new and I am wondering how many of you
>> have
>>
>>> actually tried it or at least thought about it.,I thought I would
>>>
>> cut a
>>
>>> strip of this material to make the cylinder and fasten it by
>>>
>> "sewing" it
>>
>>> up the join with a finer strip..Guess there is no other way of
>>> efficiently joining this stuff..However I will try this method
>>>
>> tomorrow
>>
>>> and let you all know how it goes..
>>>

>> Try using some silicone caulk  such as clear bathtub or the stuff
>> they
>> used to  seal glass aquariums.  Silicone rubber works great.  Alpha
>> uses
>> it in their big amps. Cut a sheet, roll up to fit the outside of the
>>
>> tube, seal with silicone and go.
>>

> Hmmm....I have an alpha and you're right it is silicone
> rubber with a redish-brown color.  I haven't seen or touched
> one of the cooking mats, but somehow I don't think it's quite the
> same composition, but nevertheless usable for our purposes.
> Alpha's stuff is quite soft and pliable, where the cooking mats
> are slick (per their description) and would have to have a
> very high surface tension to prevent any food from sticking.  But
> the silicone glue Bob mentioned would sure be worth a try.  If
> it doesn't stick, try abrading it with sandpaper where the glue
> would be applied.  Some fiberglass or mylar tape might work

Other wise the silicone rubber might be available through automotive
stores. It is available through aviation parts suppliers. It's the same
stuff they use for engine heat baffles.  Might be a tad expensive
though.  I don't know what they charge for it.  Try  a search on
Aircraft Spruce, or AircraftSpruce, or  silicone rubber aircraft engine
baffles.

73

Roger (K8RI)