[Amps] HV transformer issue

David H Craig n3db at radix.net
Sat May 3 22:58:07 EDT 2008

    Thanks much for the ideas gents.  So far I tried the following:

    1.) insulated the core from the chassis with a scrap 1/4" lexan sheet
(no bolts just let it sit there) & powered it up with no cap bank in
circuit.  Bolts still heated, and a potential appeared on the amp chassis.
I was unable to accurately measure it, but it did get my attention. (using 3
wire 220, green to chassis of course) Shut it down & bolted it back.

    2.) Ran it bolted down to chassis for about 5-10 minutes, again with no
cap bank in circuit.  Potential mentioned above was gone.  Just for the heck
of it I measured the temp of each bolt- top 2 ran around 160-170 deg F & 2
bottom ones were higher- one was 185 deg F & the other bottom bolt a
whopping 275 deg.  A fair amount of dissipating heat on the sides of the
core after power-down, just a tad on the top.  Could touch sides but was
pretty warm for a short, no-load run.

    I guess that leaves insulating the bolts to try (and the shoulder
washers of course).

    Thanks again/73 Dave N3DB