[Amps] Planning to resurrect Ameritron AL-80 (no A/B)

MARK KEMPISTY mkempisty at verizon.net
Tue May 6 22:14:21 EDT 2008

About a 1.5 years ago I won an original Ameritron AL-80 S/N 5XX at a club meeting.

I'm now starting to think about getting it on the air.  (I currently have an AL-811H that is performing perfectly so the AL-80 is not critical.)

I spoke with Ameritron at Dayton that year and they didn't bat an eye when I told them about its known issues so I'm assuming I'll be able to get the parts I need (bandswitch and 10m input filter).  I plan to call them and get some prices to see if this effort is even worth it.

But I'd like to run my initial plans past the group to get feedback.

The first thing I'd like to do is remove the tube, plug it into a variable AC supply I have (fused at 7A) and and bring the voltage up from 85 V, 5V every 1/2 hour until I get to 120V (amp is wired for 120).  Here I'm hoping it won't blow the supply's fuse even without transmitting.

Following this and no issues, reinstall the tube, fire it up and let it idle for several hours so the tube's getter can hopefully do its job.

Convert to 220V, hook it up to the rig and see how it goes on a band other than that noted in the issues below.

Known issues:
160m contact almost completely gone on the bandswitch just about gone.  Ameritron recommended soldering a brass washer to the base of the contacts for corona dissipation.  They appear to do this on almost all their amps now.

10m mod kit never installed.

Does anyone know how this amp performs on the WARC bands?

73,
Mark N3GNW