[Amps] Tuning knob for ARC-5 receiver

Paul Elliott paab at valornet.com
Mon May 12 18:29:15 EDT 2008

Jim

Looked in my junk box.  Have a small tuning knob for the ARC-5
transmitter--but don't think that it will fit the receiver.  Also, I still
have a tuning capacitor for the 3-6 mcs ARC-5 receiver, complete with dial,
plus NOS replacement tuning capacitors for some of the transmitters.

Years ago, to tune the low frequency receivers (OT will remember the Q5er),
I used the plastic knobs from the AC/DC 5-tube AM broadcast receivers that
were common beginning in the late 1930's.  Think that I had to do a little
reaming to get a press fit on the splined shaft of the ARC-5 receiver, but
the end product worked well.  I'll look a little deeper in my junk
boxes--might still be one or two of them on the bottom. You could probably
make something similar from a plastic tube that would be a press fit on the
receiver and cobble some type of knob on the other end.

Good luck in finding something that you can use.

FWIW, maybe the reason I still have such things in my junk box is
sentimental--I flew navy aircraft using that equipment.

Paul W5DM  A ham since 1937