[Amps] AMP TUBES

David H Craig n3db at radix.net
Wed May 21 22:19:17 EDT 2008

    Just curious- my understanding was the RUs are still manufacturing
GS35bs- am I wrong on this account?  I have a "stock" onhand but am worried
they too will become scare if this is the case.

    FWIW I haven't the multi-amp bulding experience of others, but I can say
this- unlike the 3CPX800 / 8877 etc, the GS35b can take all the abuse you
can throw at it.  I don't even bother measuring grid current.  Doesn't give
quite the gain of an 8877, but more than sufficient for legal limit.  I can
also lose 4-6 of them for the price of one screw-up with an 8877 or 3CX800,
though I haven't had that problem either.  My current GS35b project(s) are
on on 6m, and the primary homebrew GS35b amp has been QRV for 2 years now...
over that time I watched local friends replace 8877s & multiple 3CX800s
while the Russian tube keeps chugging right along with 3875V on the plate
and a lower-than-spec blower CFM flow.  My SB220 6m conversion did well for
years on Eimac moly 3-500Zs, but the Chinese version didn't last 2 years
before they softened (probably heat, but who knows?).

    N3DB