[Amps] Higher power transmitting tubes for "portable" amps.

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu May 22 02:30:42 EDT 2008

Steve Katz wrote:

>>Gents, suppose a guy wants to build a *portable* 1.5KW output
>>amplifier.  Would a 8877 be a good tube to use for that or
>>is there something better, more rugged, etc?
>>So, what do you guys recommend?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Charlie, N0TT

>8877 would be my choice: Very rugged, very long shelf life, reasonably
>immune to HV overshoots, low profile (easy packaging) and good
>availability both new and used.  My 6m "portable" amp uses an 8877(built
>it back in '85) and the RF deck is only 7" tall, making it easy to carry
>around tucked under an arm.

Another example, a monoband (6m) amplifier using an 8877. The whole
amplifier - including power supply - goes into a pilot's flight case for
hand-carrying, and weighs only 39lbs. With careful tank circuit layout,
the same could be done for the HF bands.

This website gives all the detailed thinking behind the design,
including the reasons why he chose an 8877.

http://www.gare.co.uk/amplifier/

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek