[Amps] Need help understanding an old Transformer

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon May 26 13:47:16 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Stealey" <rstealey at hotmail.com>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2008 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need help understanding an old Transformer

> 3440/3440                    3000                     500
> 115-230         1690

I THINK you are going to use a full wave rectifier (2 strings of modern
diodes), into a choke, and
get 3000 volts out, at 500 ma = 1500 watts.  Perfect, right at the legal
limit. (Ignoring bleeder load.)

What legal limit?  That would be 1500W input power. Granted the secondary
rating could probably squeeze 700-800 ma in ICAS use but the peak regulation
would suffer if the winding resistance is high.

It would be a nice transformer for an AM rig or big modulator using it as
designed with a choke input.
A modern xfmr with equivalent CW/SSB capability weighs around 25#.

Measure the secondary resistance. If more than about 20-30 Ohms it would
self destruct if used in a straight FW or a FW bridge with a fat capacitor
as the only filter.

OTOH, it might make an adequate modulation transformer.

I have a brute oldie xfmr here. The secondary taps are 7000 and 8000V CT at
1.5A CCS. Just what I need for a pair of 450TL's  or 304TL's as modulators.
Guaranteed hernia iron!

Carl
KM1H

And the primary is going to suck 1690 watts from the line, resulting in a
190 watt loss in the core.

Of course I could be wrong, but I get some extra credit for being first to
turn in my quiz don't I?

Rick  K2XT