[Amps] SB220 driving problem

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sat Nov 1 13:31:53 EDT 2008

Didn't see your name or call there so would be helpful to know that.

The unmodified input circuit of SB220 has a rather poor Q which is great for bandwidth (untuned) but not very good for solid state exciter/rigs. Since the finals are driven into positive grid current, the wave shape of the grid current is non sinusoidal. You need to redesign that input, I believe Somis (Measures) has some info on this in one of his old QST articles. I did the change and it made a big difference in mine, using a SS rice box as an exciter.

Secondly, yes, you don't need a full 100 watts of drive on all bands. You didn't say what band you were working on. Follow the Heathkit instructions about grid current and plate current ratio, and look at your output spectrum or a scope for distortion. You aren't helping matters (for the grid current) if it is overdriven. Fixing the input networks is probably your best bet.

73
John
K5PRO