[Amps] Intro and a query - which amp?

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Nov 7 18:00:33 EST 2008

When a pro like Tim uses an amp he spends considerable time training his
crew and it pays off. And has spares on hand (;

Others may wind up with a fried bandswitch which is an occassional
problem that comes thru here. Some of the older ones seem to be having
their share of filter cap failures and all Ameritrons have that 1N5408
in the B- leg go at one time or another for no apparent
reason....replace the diode and its fine for years more.

The Alpha uses a standard Centralab JV series switch, now Electroswitch.
Wafers are fairly common at hamfests as they were used in huge numbers
of test and industrial equipment. They can also be purchased thru
Mouser.

Almost no amp is bulletproof and if its going to fail it will be in a
contest or in a DX pileup!

Carl
KM1H