[Amps] SB-220 saga continues

Roger (K8RI) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Nov 9 00:20:01 EST 2008

Alfred Frugoli wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> So it seems I've got a problem with my SB-220.
>
> When the amp is off, but connected in the RF path, everything is fine.
>
> When I switch the amp on I've suddenly got lots of attenuation happening on
> the receive path.  Transmit seems fine - amp tunes OK etc.

I'm not familiar with the 220 keying, but assume it's a relay that
relies on an external contact to provide contact closure for a supply in
the amp.
Many moons ago, I hooked my 756 Pro to my Henry 2K4.  Worked like a
champ.  Then I picked up an Alpha 76A, it not only didn't work right, it
had these same symptoms. Only I had to take the cabinet off the 756Pro
and beat on the relay until the contacts opened. (well it wasn't quite
that crude, but twas a similar operation).  I put a solid state relay
interface between them and never had a bit of trouble since.

Oft times even when the tranceiver keying is within the ratings of the
amp relay the voltage spike from the coil will fuse the relay contacts.
They use some mighty tiny relays in some of these newer rigs. I assume
some actually use a transistor for the keying.

Roger (K8RI)