[Amps] QRO Heat management

Roger (K8RI) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Nov 10 21:36:06 EST 2008

Carl wrote:
> Ahhhh yerself.
>
> I take it then that you have never bothered to read the SB-220 front
> panel or the tuneup procedure in the manual.
>
> Or the NCL-2000, SR-2000, Hunter Bandit 2000's, and many others.
>
> The meter time constant was put in the rules at the request of
> National, Hallicrafters and others as well as getting an OK from the
> FCC that advertising a 2KW PEP amp was OK by them with the above
> caveat. I was at National when they formally asked the FCC for an
> interpetation.
But prior to the clarification the reg was only 1 KW average input. Even
with the 1/4 second time constant I don't remember the reg stating any
PEP limit.

> It didnt require rocket science to realize that if the proper voltages
> were selected that going from CW to SSB positions  would double the
> power and maintain the same plate load impedance. In order to save a
> few bucks the xfmr iron was the limiting factor anyway for most
> products and the manuals stressed using the Tune or CW position for
> tune up.

Right.
> The MLA-2500 is a fine amp once owners realized the 8875's were only
> rated at 300W dissipation and not 400 as with the 8874. If the input
> resistor was not cut out and the amp run per instructions the tubes
> last a long time. I use one as the amp for the 2nd station. Its fine
> at 1000W in the button out position (labeled differently between
> versions) and the regulation is as good as any other comparable amp.
I ran mine at "tilt" and never had a moments problem with either of them.
OTOH, although it had nothing to do with the power level, I had a low
voltage cap (bout 5/8" diameter and maybe an inch long) in the DTR-2000
blow and I do mean blow.  It sounded like a 12 gage had been fired right
next to me.  The metal can hit the inside cover so hard it looked like a
38 wadd cutter that had hit a steel plate. Mushroomed out quite nicely.

> Its mainly incompetent users that gave that amp a bad name while
> others praised it. It was a popular DXpedition amp, mine had spent
> years traveling around the world on its original set of tubes.

When I finally moved on mine were still putting out the rated output.
Sure was different picking up that MLA-2500 and then lifting an Alpha 76
<:-)) or an HT-33B

73

Roger (K8RI)